Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Reading lists


MCIS staff pick their favorite books !

Nino's picks

I absolutely love Mario Vargas Llosa, he is a Peruvian writer/journalist and who won the 2010 Nobel prize. My favourite book by him is “Aunt Julia and the scriptwriter”.

Milan Kundera’s “book of laughter and forgetting” is absolutely brilliant.

If you are interested in Japanese writers Haruki Murakami’s “Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World” is excellent. It is my sisters favourite book J.

I would also recommend Lasha Bughadze, who is a young Georgian writer, but I am not sure how available his books are in English.



GABRIELA'S

My list of suggestions, they are of course Latin American/Spanish novels J

1)      Julio Cortazar- “ Hopscotch”
2)      Garcia Marquez – “Love in the time of Cholera”
3)      Carmen Laforet – “Nada”
4)      Juan Rulfo – “Pedro Paramo”
5)      Jorge Luis Borges – “Ficciones” this is an anthology, I think you can find it in English
6)      Eduardo Galeano – “Open veins of Latin America”

Veronica's picks

Two Canadian novels:

The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill
The Lost Garden by Helen Humphreys

Also, a little bit of my own cultural background: The Appointment by Herta Muller - she is a Romanian born novelist, currently living and writing in Germany. She got the Nobel Prize for literature a couple of years ago. This novel is about pre 1989 Romania - a very sad story, but an excellent novel.

And an old favorite... I could read this over and over, it's really clever and funny: A History of the World in 10 and a Half Chapters by Julian Barnes

No comments: