Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Getting over an obsession

Sometimes I write about my ridiculous obsessions. I dont watch TV, have never watched serials or soaps and have never hero worshipped anyone. So this is somewhat out of character (or so I believed till I got sucked into a vortex called ipkknd (Is Pyar Ko Kya Naam Doon)- savour it here and watch all episodes from 1 - 399 on youtube or downloading the dailymotion app). If Barun Sobti becomes even bigger than SRK then you read about it here first. He is a consummate actor with versatile, broodingly sexy and suave good looks..ipkknd concluded on 30th Nov rather abruptly when Barun quit the show. See here for why...and then watch it all... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5P4YH42xoY I am in need of some urgent help to get over ipkknd. Cursed be the iPAD through which, aimlessly browsing one day, I came upon a youtube video of an Arshi (Arnav and Khushi ("Arshi" the protagonists) scene). I only know that I was immediately fascinated by this man with his brooding good looks and dark mood. I was intrigued by his vulnerability to this waif of a girl whom he did not know whether to break into two under the might of his power or passionately love till she was senseless. Wow, I remember the rush of emotions and the awakening of feelings long forgotten. Deep longing for that elusive high that comes from being in bated anticipation , where only those moments in the presence of that loved one matter and every other moment is just a preparation for that. This also became the metaphor for the Arshi scenes in ipkknd. None of the other scenes mattered. That mass appetite for their spellbinding chemistry in every scene may have doomed the show to its premature end, with producers scrambling and at a loss as to how they should manage this ocean of emotion they had unleashed from within all of us. I remember the irrational anger I experienced when Sheetal, (Arnav's ex girlfriend) came on the scene. I felt so possessive on behalf of Khushi and was thrilled when that plotline was scuttled to appease us fans. Here is what I cannot fathom – what am I, a lawyer practising in the West, drooling over a show when I had held all Indian serials in disdain? Was there something wrong with me? Alas, I sent a link out to my sister also a quasi intellectual, who lives elsewhere in the world, and now she cannot have enough of Arshi. When she skypes me we blush like teenagers discussing episodes in detail like they were real life. And I must have watched the Jaadu Hai Nasha Hai scene 10 times and every time I see more of their nuanced responses to each other. They are incredible actors, gorgeous humans and well they must feel this amazing chemistry to portray it in such an unabashed way. Sadly the last few episodes were patched together with Arnav not being in the frames (due to his premature departure) to respond soulfully to the heartfelt expression of gratitude by Khushi for his presence in her life! However, we have past episodes to savour, a happy ending to smile to and hope of another season and great things in store for Barun and Sanaya (Khushi in real life) in Bollywood. Kudos to the entire cast, crew and team for their top notch performances, creative use of music, amazing scores, awesome costumes and character development. It was quite a ride and one we can savour again and again through the wonders of youtube and the dailymotion app. I feel part of this ipkknd fan family, just 3 short months after coming on board! And Barun you are beyond sexy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,
On opening my account I have stumbled on a fantastic blog.
After reading your blog I had put my antenna up and thought for while as to why we are glued to the TV serial sometimes.
The answer is::
There are some characters / story line in the serial which resembles us and we are excited to know what we would do if we step into the shoes of that character or travel with the story.
That's the bait the producers of the serials keep for viewership.
Well portrayed.
Harsha