Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Guilty pleasures

I thought that the romance in my mundane life was over when suddenly I stumbled upon this mushy Hindi soap that I can’t seem to get enough of. YouTube be cursed, since I can watch the episodes on it over and over and vicariously experience its thrills. It’s not all bad news. Surely the spring in my step and the smile on my face as I listen to its evocative musical score, set to urdu poetry, is worth something? Other than a short phase, ten years ago, when I drove around town with my rooftop open listening to A.R. Rahman’s songs, rivalling my young Sri Lankan compatriots, I don’t remember being so enthralled over the portrayal of romantic love, where the protagonists pine and unite only to be ripped apart again. Needless to say, I am mystified by this soap’s profound impact on my state of being. I get transported to an era when life was simple and a look meant everything. Is this just a heaping dose of nostalgia with memories of juvenile crushes on boys whose names I did not even know and unrequited longing for life as portrayed in movies where the girl was wooed and courted? Or is it something much more primordial, as has been unleashed by “Fifty Shades of Grey”, whose 100 million strong readership has unabashedly admitted to their craving for the romantic and erotic? Whatever it is I will be glad when this phase is over so I can once again retreat into the comfort of familiar and (pseudo) intellectual pursuits. On that note – here’s a link to something unabashedly romantic for you… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96GVlVD_m78

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Latha, I love this...Why didn't I go to your LinkedIn profile earlier? You honored me the privilege of meeting you and some of your staff long ago when I was just beginning my social entrepreneurial discoveries in 2007 and since then I have admired the work that you have done in Canada. I long to visit there mainly to see the effort, services and passion you and the staff of MCIS have offered but also to see the beauty that Canada has to offer.
Thank you for sharing soo much of yourself in such a free, uplifting and light hearted fashion! Cheers dear one, you have yourself a true FAN!
Take care,
Full of Life