Monday, March 24, 2014

Sunday reflections 12- On the lighter side!


There is competing to be first and then there is the other kind. I am sure you have done it and can relate. But can you guess? Ok here is a hint. It is a competition you have with people at home, generally your spouse. Still no clue? Here is another hint. It is competing to not be the last one to do certain things so you can escape doing other things. Come on you know what I am talking about. How often have you cursed when staring down an empty tube of paste? Tell me you have not squeezed the last of the shampoo in the bottle or bitten on the toothpaste cube to get the final remnants out, so you are not burdened with replacing it? Here's another one - pressing down the garbage so you don't have to replace the bag?

It's not because you need to fetch these items from the store. Not that. It's having spares in the cupboard, but not bothering to retrieve or not wanting to step out of the shower to take item out of the bathroom shelf or cupboard when you realize with irritation your spouse did not bother to replace after him. It's one of those things I dare not complain about because - not only will I be accused of being the pot that called the kettle black, but also will have thrown at me random statements to the effect "And who buys them every time? When was the last time you did?" All of which is rightful and will require me to bite back, for the sake of peace and harmony "but you won't replace an empty bottle or tube in the bathroom - never ,,,you will just wait for me to...however long it takes...what's the use of stocking all this stuff when there is none when you or I reach for it?"

About two weeks ago, I decided to change the rules of the game. I did not replace the body gel but decided to use a combination of baking soda and a natural product from Lush, both anathema to the significant other who loves the traditional soap with lots of foam. I wanted to see if the bottle would be replaced. And two days passed and still nothing. The bath gel bottle was by now nice and shiny, so thoroughly had it been cleaned out for the last remnants of soap, and this, after two long showers everyday! Given his very high standards of personal hygiene I grew suspicious and was wondering, horror of horror, if he had been using my expensive shampoo as a soap substitute? To rescue my shampoo, I immediately capitulated and replaced the bath gel. I then confronted him with my accusation. He turned and giving me an incredulous look and said "Why would I use shampoo in the place of soap? I am actually using that disgusting soap you have there." He might as well have said "check-mate" since he had gotten me to give in and replenish his gel.

Any lessons learnt? Only that if you are with someone as lazy as you are, just know that they will outsmart you in ways you never believed they could to put off doing the work - every time! How do I know this so well? Because I make my clean underwear outlast his so as not to be the one to take on laundry. So who has the last laugh now?!

No comments: