Monday, November 5, 2012

From the ridiculous to the sublime

So I was filling gas and saw before me this incredibly gorgeous male specimen. I was twice his age for sure and have a daughter his age. So the rational mind kicked in and said "so suitable for Uttara". Of course I glossed over the fact that Utta has a poor opinion of my taste in men. So I ogled on. The right height, physique and color - but most important of all his suit was slim fitting and well tailored. And as if for the benefit of his singular audience he undonned his suit jacket to reveal broad shoulders under a crisp white shirt. I had this urge to lurch forward and tell him "do you actually know you are wasting your life driving around in a Toyota Corolla when you could be on the silver screen somewhere with a bevy of swooning women fans! " Which in a long winded way brings me to my topic today. Only in Canada have I seen Adonis and Helen of Troy cleaning shop floors or managing cash registers at the 7/11s. How incredibly sad that these perfections of nature for a good 10 years of their young adulthood live in obscurity only to soon become nondescript- looking in sweat pants and oversized shirts, covering oversized bodies, like the rest of us. In a metaphorical sense, it is true of all of us that we dont see and therefore unleash our potential. We have a jaundiced view that focusses on our inadequacies, trivialises our strengths and wallows in "what could or should be but not what is". Our moments are thus frittered away in negative ruminations and yearnings or escapes into other realities, the present moment forgotten and scorned. Sadly for us we will never see that man on the silver screen and we will never all be our absolute glorious selves.

No comments: