Friday, July 13, 2012

The bane of alcohol in Chennai

We were at a mehendi ceremony a few nights ago.  When we got back in the car, the rental car driver who had taken us there said he had joined the dancing and festivities.  I was amused but curious.  This sounded like Dutch courage to me.  His rapid fire speech made me suspect he had helped himself to a couple of drinks at the bar.  I knew then that he had a problem.  Abandoning the driver coterie he had crashed into the hall and partaken of the booze.  Rather unheard off.  Now he was going to drive three of us women back in his inebriated state.   To top it all he hit me for money.  For his daughter's fees, he said  - which I could sense was a bald faced lie since schools have long since reopened.  Alcohol has been the bane of lower class families in Chennai, with the proliferation of the Tasmac ( government contolled)  liquor stores.  To increase their revenue Tasmac stores have recently decided to open earlier and close later. They are stealing from the back pockets of the poor to feed the corrupt appetites of politicians and the liquor barons, who keep them in power.  Women and children are the victims of this bane.  Social taboos are strong enough to prevent women from drinking - thank god - but they have to forebear wretched lives of abuse and penury.  Recently, at least three women I know were nearly killed by their spouses.  These are all super women raising their children and working multiple jobs to protect their dignity.   Back to said driver.  The first call I received early the following day was from this driver who told me his wife had suffered a heart attack and could I give him Rs. 3000.  I confronted him and said I did not believe him, that he has a problem and needs help.  I would not give him money but would assist with getting him help.  He meekly agreed.  I made several enquiries and am referring him to Voluntary Health Services which has an excellent addiction prevention program that is geared to income.  The rest is up to him and his family.   However, we need systemic change.  On June 3, 2012 Tamilaruvi Manian's Gandhiya Makkal Iyakkam (GMI) has called for prohibition and offered suggestions for alternate sources of revenue for the INR 18,000 crores that the TASMAC stores bring in.  GMI has a statewide campaign and a petition going out for all state residents' signatures.  Is there the people power and consequent political will to make this happen as they have done in Gujarat?

2 comments:

Priya Balan said...

Best news keep try strictly rule to save the innocent people,I Like to see another post in your blog, web 2 print solution and door hangers Use ful to me and my friend keep updates Wholesale Printing Articles.

Blogger said...

Using Car Rental 8 you can discover the best car hires from over 50000 locations globally.